I told you Write All Nite‘s tried-and-true album roundup format would return in 2019!
It’ll be mostly business as usual, with a few new wrinkles. Before we delve into the first half of January’s releases, let’s review the old curatorial guidelines and detail the fresh additions:
- I listen to every album that cracks Apple Music’s Top 30 Most Streamed List (fuck, Spotify!).
- (Honestly, I have no problem whatsoever with Spotify so I don’t even know why I said that…I just happen to use Apple Music, which is the only reason I rely on their charts over Spotify’s. DON’T TAKE IT PERSONALLY, OL’ SPOTTY!!!).
- I listen to every album by a major artist I recognize.
- I listen to every album I hear is great.
- I listen to every album any of you recommend.
- And now, for that aforementioned wrinkle: to further expand and diversify my scope, I shall listen to every album that scales the Billboard 200, which has long been the industry’s central database tracker for popular success. You know what that means: BRING ON THE COUNTRY, Y’ALL!!!
As always, I tackle each week’s albums in order of personal preference:
TDT — Big K.R.I.T.
Mood. Maybe even a #BigMood.
Bawskee 2 — Comethazine
Tricolor 2 — Ann Marie
R&B? More like Rote and Boring, amirite?! Odd coinkidink: yet another artist I’m being introduced to this week through a sequel album…