Below are some imperfect comparisons between artists across space, time, and mediums.
They demand expounding, and one day I hope to do just that for each. But before that day comes, I present them to you here, naked, so you can ponder — and, likely, doubt —their similarities; they’re not perfect for a reason!
- Will Eno is the 21st century Samuel Beckett
- Martin McDonagh is the Irish David Mamet
- Sondheim is the American Shakespeare
- Samuel Hunter is the 21st century Horton Foote
- Dominique Morisseau and Mfoniso Udofia are female August Wilsons
- Woody Allen is the American Mike Leigh
- Matthew Heineman is the documentary Kathryn Bigelow