Let’s get this party started!
I’ll begin by listing all the shows eligible to be mentioned in these roundups, AKA everything I saw that opened during the 2018-2019 theatre season. I’ve split them into three lists — one (today’s!) dedicated to musicals, another to plays, and the third to revivals of both — and each will be further divided into different subsections:
- Reserved for my absolute favorite work of the year, ranked in order of personal preference.
- Best of the Rest
- They either belong to the rung just below the highest echelon, or boast some component that necessitates they be remembered, and thus singled out here. Also ranked preferentially.
- Every other show, listed alphabetically.
(My distaste for the word “best” — as opposed to “favorite” — is on record…but “faves” ; “also-faves” ; and “everything else” doesn’t sound as snazzy and snappy as the triumvirate above).
First up: musicals!
- Taylor Mac’s Holiday Sauce (Town Hall)
- Octet (Signature)
- My Name Is Gideon: I’m Probably Going to Die, Eventually (The Brick)
- Twelfth Night (Public Works @ Delacorte Theater)
- Antigone in Ferguson (Theatre of War @ Harlem Stage)
- The Lobby Project (The Civilians @ City Center)
- Ryan Raftery: The Obsession of Calvin Klein (Joe’s Pub)
- Chambre Noire (Plexus Polaire & Under the Radar @ Public)
BEST OF THE REST
- Skittles Commercial: The Broadway Musical (Town Hall)
- Rags Parkland Sings the Songs of the Future (Ars Nova)
- Variations on the Main (JACK)
- The B-Side (Wooster Group @ St. Ann’s Warehouse)
- Anything That Gives Off Light (Joe’s Pub)
- Norma Jeane Baker of Troy (Shed)
Alice by Heart (MCC)
All I Want Is One Night (Brits Off-Broadway @ 59E59)
All is Calm: The Christmas Truce of 1914 (Sheen)
Clueless, the Musical (New Group @ Signature)
Confection (Third Rail Projects @ Folger Theatre Library — Washington, D.C.)
Freestyle Love Supreme (Greenwich House)
Girl from the North Country (Public)
Half Time (Paper Mill)
Hunter John and Jane (JACK)
Infinite Love Party (Bushwick Starr)
Jack and the Beanstalk (Abrons)
James and the Giant Peach (Atlantic)
Little Rock (Sheen)
Midnight at the Never Get (York)
My Very Own British Invasion (Paper Mill)
Oasis (Third Rail Projects @ Arts Brookfield)
Renascence (Transport @ Abrons)
Sehnsucht (Created by TV @ JACK)
The Hello Girls (Prospect @ 59E59)
The Other Josh Cohen (Westside)
The Royal Family of Broadway (Barrington Stage)
Weightless (Under the Radar & Public @ BRIC)
We Are the Tigers (Theater 80 St. Marks)
When We Went Electronic (Tank)