You may have noticed a lack of “worst of” awards in this here recap of 2019 in film thus far.
Because why beat a mummified horse?
BUT, there’s always room to celebrate the year in cinematic delighmares!
Here’s a syllabus of reading to refresh your familiarity with this Razziest of genres:
A note about the nominated actors below: like with cameos, delightmare performances usually come from celebrities. The interplay with their known personas — and their known talent — is an essential part of the fun; joy shouldn’t be derived from celebrating the trashiness of trash actors. But the greats slumming it? And trying to figure out WTF they were thinking / going for, and how such demonstrable craziness fits into their oeuvre’s brand? Hell yeah, that’s my jam.
My favorite thespians tend to swing for the fences, so striking out in the whiffiest of fashions is an inevitability.
- Matthew McConaughey, Serenity
- Dennis Quaid, The Intruder / Midway / A Dog’s Journey
- Kevin Costner, The Art of Racing in the Rain
- The voice performance of the year! Such a gruff, grizzled, great boy.
- John Travolta, Trading Paint / The Poison Rose
- Keanu Reeves, Replicas
- Brendan Fraser, The Poison Rose
- Nick Nolte, Angel Has Fallen
- John Cusack, Never Grow Old
- Crispin Glover, We Have Always Lived in the Castle
- Bill Pullman, Dark Waters
- Bill Camp’s eyebrows might deserve a nomination of their own…
- Jason Clarke, Serenity
- Jeremy Strong, Serenity
- Michael Madsen, Trading Paint
David Benioff, Billy Ray, Darren Lemke — Gemini Man
MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING